The week that was…
This week’s best political pieces focussed on the commencement of the carbon price (Kelly & Kitney) and fallout from last week’s asylum seeker debate (Mega, Farr and Brent).
The natural extension of the latter was further examination of the Greens. Grog provided an interesting profile on the new Greens Senator, Peter Whish-Wilson, PVO had a scoop on the ALP’s preference deals, and Katharine Murphy talked to Christine Milne.
Also included are two great longer reads: one on the nature of democracy in Australia today, and one on the future of journalism.
- Paul Kelly: Bad timing, wrong price – carbon tax risks failure
- Geoff Kitney: Abbott, the politician who cried wolf
- George Megalogenis: No place for petty politicking
- Malcolm Farr: A long-term focus in a short-term political world
- Peter Brent: Triumph of Lemmings
- GrogsGamut / Greg Jericho: Greens newcomer takes up the fight for the middle
- Peter van Onselen: Labor boss takes aim at Greens
- Katharine Murphy: Political marriage in stormy waters